1. What's your favorite color? It used to be blue. I have blue walls of various shades in my house, rocked a blue T-shirt for Alphabet Rockers, and all that stuff. But now I find myself buying pink sneakers, hot pink shirts, and pink pants. I guess you would say I love them all!
2. What's your favorite ice cream? Peanut butter cup
3. What's your favorite purple? Great question! I like the magenta purple.
4. What's your favorite flower? I love the smell from lavender and jasmine, but a simple beautiful tulip wins the favorite flower game.
5. What is your all time favorite song? Yikes! I can never choose between songs. It would be like choosing my all-time-favorite friend. Songs speak to me throughout my life, get quiet, and then re-ignite. If I think of the album I have bought 3 times it would be a tie between A Tribe Called Quest - "Midnight Marauders" and Mary J. Blige "Share My World". If I had to pick 5 various songs right this minute, they might include: A Tribe Called Quest "Oh My God", Annie Lennox "Cold", Norah Jones "The Nearness of You", Fugees "Ready or Not" and Bonnie Raitt "I Can't Make You Love Me"
6. When did you move for the first and last time? The first time I moved was in my early twenties, when I moved from my childhood city of Boston to San Francisco. I never imagined I would stay...but here we are, years later, still in the Bay. Three years ago I moved from San Francisco to Oakland and love this community even more than SF.
7. What is your favorite US city to visit? New York, hands down. I will walk the streets for hours and hours, with or without my friends that live there. The city speaks to my creativity and drive, and I leave wondering why I don't live there!
8. What is the last book you read? Just finished Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver, exploring the climate change crisis through a fictionalized family in Appalachia. Reading quality stories is crucial to my mind, my critical thinking, my experience of the world. I'm now reading Little Bee, and will be looking for a new recommendation when I finish it this week!
9. Four Square or Tetherball? Four square, hands-down. We drew it in chalk on the street in front of my house, at the playground, anywhere we could. It was always thrilling.
10. Favorite childhood meal? Grilled cheese and my dad's pancakes. It's amazing how much fancier everyone's cooking has gotten over the past 10 years. We repeated the same 10 meals for years, it would seem, and today because of the internet and food TV shows, people really have diversified. I could still eat a grilled cheese everyday and be satisfied, but I too love trying new things, especially with getting those greens in. Yesterday I made brussels sprouts for lunch. That makes me sound old, I did it on purpose!
11. OOGIAH means cookie. What is your favorite kind? Macadamia nut + white chocolate. But I have never cooked them for myself, maybe I should this year!
Notes by OOGIAH:
Albums: A Tribe Called Quest & Mary J. Blige
Songs: A Tribe Called Quest's "Oh My G-d", Annie Lennox's "Cold", Norah Jones' "The Nearness of You", Fugees' "Ready or Not" & Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me"
Books: Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver & Little Bee by Chris Cleave
Cookies: This White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookie Recipe looks good!
Find out more about Kaitlin McGaw here. And check out the new Shape Rap!
*The first four questions were created by a five-year-old. And the last seven were written by her mom.
Posted by Rachel Teichman